April 1 Updates on SuperCoder Include Multiple COVID-19 Codes
The April 2020 updates include changes to the usual coding data sets, but there are also some additions that don’t follow the typical schedule. Here are some key code changes to watch for in your SuperCoder coding package.
- CPT®: New lab testing code 87635 for severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)/coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is already effective and available in SuperCoder coding packages. Published March 13, 2020, this code is not part of the April updates, but it deserves mention here as an important recent addition to the code set.
- HCPCS Level II: The second-quarter updates will include two new HCPCS Level II codes related to COVID-19 testing. The Medicare claims processing systems will be able to accept the following codes April 1, 2020, for dates of service on or after Feb. 4, 2020:
- U0001 (CDC 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-ncov) real-time rt-pcr diagnostic panel)
- U0002 (2019-ncov coronavirus, sars-cov-2/2019-ncov (covid-19), any technique, multiple types or subtypes (includes all targets), non-CDC)
- ICD-10-CM: There also are two new diagnosis code updates effective April 1 (rather than the usual Oct. 1 date):
- U07.0 (Vaping-related disorder)
- U07.1 (COVID-19)
April will bring plenty of other updates, as well, including more than 1,000 changes for Medicare National Correct Coding Initiative (NCCI) Procedure-to-Procedure edits for practitioners, about 100 changes to Medicare outpatient hospital Medically Unlikely Edits (MUEs), relative value unit (RVU) changes for codes in the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule, and more.