DeShannon Posted Tue 28th of November, 2017 11:51:53 AM
Our Pediatricians are focusing on the HEDIS measure for: Weight Assessment & Counseling for Nutrition & Physical Activity for Children and Adolescents (WCC) Documentation of an outpatient visit with a PCP or OB/GYN for ages 3-17 and who had:
• BMI percentile
• Counseling for Nutrition (Z71.3)
• Counseling for Physical Activity (Z71.82)
Ages: 3-17 years
Performed: Jan. 1–Dec. 31 of measurement year
Is Z71.82 appropriate coding for exercise counseling for the above measure? We see it became effective on 10/1/2017 and is a new 2018 ICD10 code. What documentation is needed for nutrition and for physical activity counseling?
SuperCoder Answered Wed 29th of November, 2017 07:06:45 AM
Code Z71.82 is a new code for 2018, it is effective from october 1, 2017. So, you can report it on claims after october 1. 2017.
Documention of counseling/referral for physical activity during the measurement year includes:
• Checklist indicating physical activity was addressed
• Distribution of educational materials on physical activity in a face‐to‐face visit
• Anticipatory guidance for physical activity or weight/obesity counseling
• Document BMI percentile
• Referral for physical activity
Hope that helps!