Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95

Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Wound Care for Burns

Chris Posted Tue 15th of October, 2019 13:35:16 PM
Can you help us understand when we should use a burn treatment code vs a debridement code? The patient has 3rd degree burn on the right lower leg. They are returning for a "debridement" of this non healing burn. The doctor performed a debridement down to and including sub Q tissue - fat layer is exposed. 5.6 sq cm wound size. which code should be used, 11042 or 16020? I'm confused because the CPT burn codes say for "partial-thickness" burns... this is a 3rd degree burn; wouldn't that make it a 'full thickness' wound? I don't see burn care codes for full thickness. Can you help clear this up for us? Thank you
SuperCoder Answered Wed 16th of October, 2019 03:30:47 AM
Hi Thanks for your question Code suggests wound debridement are reported by depth of tissue that is removed and by surface area of the wound These services may be reported for injuries infections wounds and chronic ulcers The guidelines of suggests that for burn wound debridement see codes range -...

Related Topics