Fast Coder vs. Physician Coder vs. Multispecialty Coder  |  Compare & SaveLearn More!

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask an Expert Starting at $24.95

Have a medical coding question? Get definitive answers from TCI SuperCoder's Ask an Expert.

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all
Cathi Posted 8 Year(s) ago

Is their a code for conducting weight loss counseling within a physicians office setting, Family Practice

SuperCoder Posted 8 Year(s) ago

There is no specific code for weight loss counselling. A regular E/M code (99201-99215) may be billed for the service. The ICD-9 codes normally accepted for such a service include 278.00, 278.01, V65.3, or V70.0. Payers like BCBS and CIGNA may accept the Medical nutrition therapy codes such as 97802, 97803, G0270, and S9470 with appropriate Dx codes.

Teresa Posted 8 Year(s) ago

Look at code 99401 under Preventive Medicine. If you look above the code in the explanation of these codes that it states in the 2nd paragraph that these codes address issues such as diet and exercise. We use 99406 for tobacco cessation in our office along with the E&M with a 25 modifier and commercial carrier's such as BC cover this procedure. Medicare will cover the procedure but Medicaid will not. I don't know if this is exactly what you were looking for but I hope this info helps.

SuperCoder Posted 8 Year(s) ago

Thanks Teresa, 99401 could be one of the options for a family practice. The other codes I have mentioned are generally used by registered dieticians.

SuperCoder Posted 8 Year(s) ago

The code you use will hinge on 1) who's doing the counseling and 2) whether the patient has a problem. The 99401-99404 preventive medicine counseling codes are for risk factor reduction counseling in which the patient has NO current diagnosis related to the counseling. If the patient is being diagnosed as overweight or obese -- and the FP is doing the counseling, use an office visit code based on time provided couseling comprises the majority of the service. These codes are usually more widely accepted -- and often pay more than the 99401-99404 options.
If, however, an RT is doing the counseling, you'd have to go with MNT codes provided the service meets those codes' criteria.
Jen Godreau, CPC, CPEDC
Content Director,
Inhealthcare, LLC

Posted by Cathi, 8 Year(s). There are 5 posts. The latest reply is from SuperCoder.

Related Topics