Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Urology-Penile Fracture

Cherie Posted Tue 29th of July, 2014 09:52:35 AM

I need help coding this surgery involving a penile fracture.

The penis was degloved and we noticed he had a very large hematoma on the right side of the penis. This hematoma was just above the penile scrotal junction. As we explored this area, we were able to evacuate his hematoma. We then were able to find the areas of concern on the corporal body. These edges were cleaned up and then the corporal fracture was then closed with vicryl interrupted sutures x 6. After closing repair, we injected saline to create artificial erection to demonstrate no evidence of leakage from corporal repair. We removed the injection, irrigated and the rest of the hematoma was evacuated. We then re-approximated the penile skin using 3-0 chromic sutures.
I'm not sure what to code, if 54440 or another code more fitting.

SuperCoder Answered Wed 30th of July, 2014 03:42:41 AM

Yes, code 54440, 'Plastic operation of penis for injury' would be most appropriate for repair of penile fracture.

Thanks !!

Related Topics