Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

UA done in Office, sent to outside lab

Joaquin Posted Fri 24th of January, 2014 11:56:19 AM

We want to clarify if an office can charge for a U/A separate from the outside lab:

If an office does the UA (dipstick), and then if something is abnormal, it (the specimen) is sent to an outside lab and the outside lab does a urinalysis (usually with micro) and then a culture and sensitivity. The outside lab charges for what they do, but can the office charge for their taking of the U/A?

Or would the office just charge for the 99000 in this case?

SuperCoder Answered Mon 27th of January, 2014 10:04:40 AM

Yes, you should charge for your urinalysis because it prompted the need for micro. Both you and the lab should be able to collect separately for your services.

SuperCoder Answered Fri 31st of January, 2014 16:18:25 PM

You can charge for the in-office dipstick UA using the appropriate code, such as 81003 (Urinalysis, by dip stick or tablet reagent for bilirubin, glucose, hemoglobin, ketones, leukocytes, nitrite, pH, protein, specific gravity, urobilinogen, any number of these constituents; automated, without microscopy). You’ll need to look at your dipstick methodology and package insert to select the proper code.
If you then prepare the specimen to send it to an outside lab for additional tests such as micro and culture, you can additionally charge 99000 (Handling and/or conveyance of specimen for transfer from the office to a laboratory).

Related Topics