I know that cms and cpt state that when choosing to code based on time that the counseling must exceed 50% of the visit.
Is it defined anywhere that it must exceed 50% of the total visit time, or exceed 50% of the time associated with the code selected, I have read both as suggestions by others, but woud like CPT or CMS statement on the matter.
Examples would be typical time for a 99214 is 25 minutes.
documentation states 15 minutes of a 30 minute visit spent...etc.
How do I tell my physician that had he spent 5 minutes less with the patient then he would qualify for a 99214, otherwise he is now only going to get a 99212 (based on key elements) since 15 is not MORE than half of 30???? Especially when the code selection he is interested in acheiving is a 99214 and 15 minutes is MORE THAN half of 25??
Any supporting documentation in this matter would be appreciated.
- ACCEPTANCE OF TERMS Welcome to the Supercoder website (the "Site"), which is owned and operated by The Coding Institute LLC ("TCI"). Please carefully review these Terms of Service ("TOS" or "Agreement"), which are legally binding on you. This Agreement governs your use of the Site and all related content, software and services, including affiliated websites, content, software, or services owned or provided by TCI (collectively, the "Services"). By signing up for, using, visiting, browsing, or logging in to the Services you accept and agree to be bound by this Agreement. Some Services may be subject to additional conditions. Your participation in the Services is dependent upon acceptance of all conditions stated or referenced in the Agreement. If you do not wish to be bound by this Agreement, do not accept the Agreement and discontinue using and accessing Services immediately.
- CHANGES TO TERMS TCI reserves the right, in its discretion, to change or replace this Agreement at any time. Such changes will be effective immediately upon publication of the modified or new Agreement on the Site. TCI will endeavor to provide registered users with notice of any material change to this Agreement, by posting a notice on the Site and/or delivering registered users an e-mail to the current e-mail address on file. If at any time any part of this Agreement is unacceptable to you, you should immediately terminate use of the Services.
- REGISTRATION INFORMATION As a condition to using certain Services, you must register on the Site and select a user name and password ("User ID"). You represent and warrant that you have provided and that you will provide TCI with accurate, complete, and updated registration information. In the event that any of your registration information changes in the future, you will promptly update your registration information on the Site. Failure to provide accurate, complete, and updated registration information shall constitute a breach of this Agreement, which may result in immediate termination or suspension of your account. You are solely responsible in all respects for: (a) all use of the Site made using your User ID, and (b) maintaining the confidentiality of your User ID. Only one individual may access the Site at the same time using the same User ID. You agree to notify us immediately of any unauthorized use of your email address or User ID or any other breach of security regarding the Site of which you are aware.
- CPT® CONTENT AVAILABLE IN Supercoder Any part of the Services or the Site that include access to CPT® content is bound by the terms of this Section IV. The CPT® content is copyright 2012 American Medical Association. All rights reserved. Fee schedules, relative value units, conversion factors and/or related components are not assigned by the AMA, are not part of CPT®, and the AMA is not recommending their use. The AMA does not directly or indirectly practice medicine or dispense medical services. The AMA assumes no liability for data contained or not contained herein. The responsibility for the content of any "National Correct Coding Policy" included in the Services is with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and no endorsement by the AMA is intended or should be implied. The AMA disclaims responsibility for any consequences or liability attributable to or related to any use, nonuse or interpretation of information contained in this product. CPT® is commercial technical data and/or computer data bases and/or commercial computer software and/or commercial computer software documentation, as applicable, which was developed exclusively at private expense by the American Medical Association, 515 North State Street, Chicago, Illinois, 60610. U.S. Government rights to use, modify, reproduce, release, perform, display, or disclose these technical data and/or computer data bases and/or computer software and/or computer software documentation are subject to the limited rights restrictions of DFARS 252.2277015(b)(2) (November 1995) and/or subject to the restrictions of DFARS 227.7202-1(a) (June 1995) and DFARS 227.7202-3(a) (June 1995), as applicable, for U.S. Department of Defense procurements and the limited rights restrictions of FAR 52.227-14 (June 1987) and/or subject to the restricted rights provisions of FAR 52.227-14 (June 1987) and FAR 52.227-19 (June 1987), as applicable, and any applicable agency FAR Supplements, for non-Department of Defense Federal procurements.
- ICD-9-CM Coding Clinic This product contains AHA CODING CLINC® FOR ICD-9-CM content which is commercial technical data and/or computer data bases and/or commercial computer software and/or commercial computer software documentation, as applicable, which was developed exclusively at private expense by the American Hospital Association, 155 N. Wacker Dr., Suite 400, Chicago, Illinois 60606. U.S. government rights to use, modify, reproduce, release, perform, display, or disclose these technical data and/or computer data bases and/or computer software and/or computer software documentation are subject to the limited rights restrictions of DFARS 252.227-7015(b)(2) (November 1995) and/or subject to the restrictions of DFARS 227.7202-1(a) (June 1995) and DFARS 227.7202-3(a) (June 1995), as applicable, for U.S. Department of Defense procurements and the limited rights restrictions of FAR 52.227-14 (December 2007) and/or subject to the restricted rights provisions of FAR 52.227-14 (December 2007) and FAR 52.227-19 (December 2007), as applicable, and any applicable agency FAR Supplements, for non-Department of Defense Federal procurements.
- HCPCS Coding Clinic This product contains AHA CODING CLINC® FOR HCPCS content which is commercial technical data and/or computer data bases and/or commercial computer software and/or commercial computer software documentation, as applicable, which was developed exclusively at private expense by the American Hospital Association, 155 N. Wacker Dr., Suite 400, Chicago, Illinois 60606. U.S. government rights to use, modify, reproduce, release, perform, display, or disclose these technical data and/or computer data bases and/or computer software and/or computer software documentation are subject to the limited rights restrictions of DFARS 252.227-7015(b)(2) (November 1995) and/or subject to the restrictions of DFARS 227.7202-1(a) (June 1995) and DFARS 227.7202-3(a) (June 1995), as applicable, for U.S. Department of Defense procurements and the limited rights restrictions of FAR 52.227-14 (December 2007) and/or subject to the restricted rights provisions of FAR 52.227-14 (December 2007) and FAR 52.227-19 (December 2007), as applicable, and any applicable agency FAR Supplements, for non-Department of Defense Federal procurements.
- USE OF SERVICES AND CONTENT TCI grants you, according to your subscription level and account standing, the non-exclusive, limited right, with a standard web browsing program ("Browser") not supplied by TCI, to use the Services and the text, information, software, images, media, and other material contained on or made available in connection with the Services (collectively, the "Content"), all for your own personal use. You may not share your access to or distribute Content to others without the prior written permission of TCI. You may download or copy the Content only for your own individual use, and further provided that you maintain all copyright and other notices contained in such Content. You shall not store electronically any portion of any Content, except as may be temporarily stored by your Browser in its ordinary operation. Except as may be expressly permitted by U.S. copyright laws, no copying, storage, redistribution or publication of any Content is permitted without the express prior written permission of the owners of such Content. You agree to access the Site or Services only through the interface that is provided by TCI for use in accessing the Site. You agree not to use any automated means, including but not limited to agents, robots, scripts, spiders, and screen scraping tools, to access, monitor, download or copy any part of the Site or its Content, unless TCI has provided prior written consent. You acknowledge that the Site, Services and Content are protected by trademark, copyright, and other proprietary rights of TCI, its affiliates or third party licensors. You agree to comply with any additional copyright notices, information, or restrictions applicable to any Content available on or accessed through the Services. You may not modify, publish, transmit, transfer or sell, reproduce, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, display, or in any way exploit, any of the Content, in whole or in part, except as expressly permitted in this Agreement. Content consisting of or containing downloadable software may not be reverse engineered unless specifically authorized by its proprietor.
- SUBSCRIBER'S CONTENT You grant to TCI the irrevocable, worldwide right to edit, copy, publish, distribute, translate and otherwise use any Content that you place on the Services or email to TCI employees or its affiliates, in any medium. You represent and warrant that you are authorized to grant all rights set forth in the preceding sentence. TCI does not and cannot review material submitted to the Services by subscribers ("Subscriber's Content") and is not responsible for such Subscriber's Content. However, TCI reserves the right to cancel your access to content areas and/or delete, move, modify, or edit any Subscriber's Content, including messages posted in any forum or blog, that it may determine, in its sole discretion, violates this Agreement. You are and shall remain solely responsible for all Subscriber's Content posted by you or by another person using your account. TCI does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Subscriber's Content displayed, uploaded, posted on any message board, or otherwise distributed through the Services. TCI expressly disclaims any liability related to Subscriber's Content, and you acknowledge that any reliance by you upon such Subscriber's Content shall be at your own risk.
- RULES OF CONDUCT You agree that you will not, directly or indirectly, perform or assist in any of the following actions as they relate to the Website or Services:
- Engage in or facilitate any illegal activity;
- Damage or disrupt performance of any computer, system or network used to provide the Services;
- Interfere with other users;
- Data mine, store, or collect our Content or personal information about other users;
- Circumvent or compromise security or authentication associated with any Services;
- Modify or attempt to compromise any Content;
- Post, email, or distribute any inappropriate, unlawful, defamatory, libelous, harassing, indecent, or obscene content;
- Post, email, or distribute files that contain viruses, malware, Trojans, spyware, or other harmful files or corrupted data;
- Violate the rights of others, such as infringing any copyright, trademark, patent, or trade secret;
- Impersonate any person or entity or misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity;
- Resell use of the Services or access to the Services;
- Solicit subscribers or community members to join other online information services that are competitive with Services; or
- Use the Services for any commercial purpose, including advertising or solicitation of funds or goods and services.
TCI uses reasonable efforts to maximize system availability. TCI shall make a reasonable effort to correct any technical difficulties that may arise with the Services; however, TCI does not guarantee that the Services will be uninterrupted or error-free. TCI is not responsible for any technical difficulties resulting from the World Wide Web, Internet access, computer hardware or software.
TCI may change, suspend, or discontinue all or any aspect of the Services at any time, including the availability of any Service feature, database, or content, without prior notice or liability.
Access to Services features may require an active paid subscription account ("Subscription"). You authorize TCI to charge the credit card account designated during your Subscription creation process the fees, and any applicable tax, at the recurring term interval chosen by you. You are responsible for any additional charges associated with using the Services, including, but not limited to, any telephone or Internet service provider charges.
Fees paid for any Subscription term are paid in advance and are not refundable in whole or in part. You may terminate your Subscription at any time and continue using the Services until the expiration of your pre-paid term.
Free or discounted trial Subscriptions to the Services, and your ability to participate in such trials, are offered at TCI's discretion. By participating in any trial, you agree to the terms spelled out at the time of acceptance, including payment of subsequent fees that may be charged if you do not cancel the trial Subscription before the end of the designated trial period.
You hereby indemnify and hold TCI, and all of its officers, directors, employees, owners, agents, information providers, affiliates, and licensors (collectively, "Representatives") harmless from and against all claims, suits, liability, losses, costs, and expenses (including attorney's fees) incurred by TCI or any Representative in connection with any claim arising out of:
- Your use of the Services;
- Any use or alleged use of your account or your password by any person, whether or not authorized by you;
- Your connection to the Services via the Internet;
- Your violation of this Agreement;
- Content you submit to the Services; or
- The accuracy, quality, or performance of the Services.
The Services may contain links to sites on the Internet that are owned by third parties (the "External Sites"). You acknowledge that TCI is not responsible for the availability of, the content located through, or any services provided by any External Site.
From time-to-time, TCI may send information on related products and services to its existing customers/subscribers. Any personal information you provide - name, address, email address, phone number, etc. allows us to inform you about updates to the Services and to notify you of products and services that may be of interest to you. We give you the opportunity to decline receiving these internal and/or external offers. To opt out of these notices, click the opt-out link which can be found at the bottom of any such message you receive from us.
Transactional notices such as invoices, statements, or new issue notices etc. will continue to be sent over the course of business in compliance with all related regulations. You may also specifically stop such transactional notices by contacting customer service to request this and by providing suitable other means of communicating your transaction/order details with you.
THE SERVICES AND THE CONTENT ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS, AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. NONE OF TCI, THIRD PARTY CONTENT PROVIDERS OR THEIR RESPECTIVE AGENTS MAKE ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF TITLE OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NONINFRINGEMENT OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WITH RESPECT TO THE SERVICES, SITE OR ANY CONTENT. YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE SERVICES AND THE ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF THE CONTENT IS ASSUMED SOLELY BY YOU. NEITHER TCI NOR ANY PROVIDER OF THIRD PARTY CONTENT OR THEIR RESPECTIVE AGENTS WARRANTS THAT THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE; NOR DOES TCI, ANY THIRD PARTY CONTENT PROVIDER, OR THEIR RESPECTIVE AGENTS MAKE ANY WARRANTY AS TO THE RESULTS TO BE OBTAINED FROM USE OF THE SERVICES OR THE CONTENT.
NEITHER TCI, ANY THIRD PARTY CONTENT PROVIDER NOR THEIR RESPECTIVE AGENTS SHALL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICES, EVEN IF SUCH PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN SUCH STATES, THE LIABILITY OF TCIi, THIRD PARTY CONTENT PROVIDERS AND THEIR RESPECTIVE AGENTS SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE GREATEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
Reasonable attempts have been made to provide accurate Content. However, of necessity, examples cited and advice given must be general in nature and may not apply to any particular case. Clinical and other circumstances may differ between cases and thereby affect coding. Neither TCI nor its publisher, editors, board members, contributors and consultants warrant or guarantee that any Content related to coding or compliance will be applicable or appropriate in any particular situation. For information tailored to your specific circumstances, consult a qualified professional.
In the event TCI determines, in its sole discretion, that you have violated this Agreement, TCI shall have the right to immediately suspend your access to the Site and Services without prior notice to you, and/or pursue any other remedies available to it under applicable law.
Any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to this Agreement or the Services shall be resolved by binding arbitration in accordance with the commercial arbitration rules of the American Arbitration Association. The arbitration shall be conducted in Durham, North Carolina, and judgment on the arbitration award may be entered in any court having jurisdiction thereof. Notwithstanding the foregoing, TCI may seek injunctive or other equitable relief from a court of competent jurisdiction, necessary to protect the rights or the property of TCI (or its agents, suppliers, and subcontractors), pending the completion of arbitration.
TCI's failure to exercise or enforce any right or provision of this Agreement shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision.
This Agreement, including all terms, agreements, and policies that are incorporated into these terms by reference, constitute the entire agreement between you and TCI and govern your use of the Site and Services, superseding any prior agreements, documents or communications relating to the subject matter of this Agreement. This Agreement is governed by the laws of North Carolina, USA, without regarding to its internal rules regarding conflicts of law.
If any part of this Agreement is determined to be invalid or unenforceable pursuant to applicable law, then the invalid or unenforceable provision will be deemed superseded by a valid, enforceable provision that most closely matches the intent of the original provision, and the remainder of this Agreement shall continue in effect.
TCI shall have no liability for any failure or delay resulting from any condition beyond the reasonable control of TCI, including but not limited to governmental action or acts of terrorism, war, earthquake, fire, flood or other acts of God, labor conditions, power failures and Internet disturbances.