Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Swing Bed vs Long term care in a hospital

Melissa Posted Tue 07th of January, 2020 18:05:41 PM
Hello, I am starting to bill for professional services for providers seeing patients in a hospital long term care unit; the hospital has some beds that are swing beds. What is the difference in how these daily or monthly visits should be coded. Thank you
SuperCoder Answered Wed 08th of January, 2020 10:01:33 AM

Hello Melissa,

Thank you for your question


Patients under swing beds should be coded with appropriate discharge summary code (99238-99239) along with the appropriate nursing facility code billed as per the E&M level.


Hope that helps!


Related Topics