Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all


David Posted Thu 07th of April, 2016 12:07:25 PM
My physician is asking if there is something he can bill when he goes into another physicians operating room, at the request of that physician and locates the ureters for the physician so that they are clearly identified and not at risk for being injured during an operation. My physician does not insert any catheters into the ureters in this situation he only advises the operating physician and locates the ureters for him. He does not assist the physician as far as the primary operation either, only in locating the ureters. Is there a code for this?
SuperCoder Answered Fri 08th of April, 2016 08:31:31 AM
Hi, Intraoperative consult where consulting physician does NOT perform any surgery. Bill the appropriate consult code, according to documentation. (Could be inpatient or outpatient depending on patient's hospital admit status vs day surgery).For an intraoperative consult use codes 99251 through 99255 (initial inpatient consultations) or 99241 through 99245 (office or other outpatient consultations). Thanks
David Posted Fri 08th of April, 2016 11:03:25 AM
And these codes are ok to use even though my physician does not do an entire history and physical on the patient?
SuperCoder Answered Mon 11th of April, 2016 06:32:01 AM
Hi, Physical Exam is necessary to bill for these codes. But in your case physician just did the examination of ureter. So you can bill minimum level. Thanks

Related Topics