Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Stress xray code 77071

Victoria Posted Tue 24th of March, 2020 15:43:18 PM
Hi If we stress a body part for x-ray we are to charge CPT#77071 We thought that was for Doctors only. If a PA or tech were to stress it was just a normal charge. But we just looked it up and it says “stress performed by physician or other qualified health care professional” so that could be Doctor/Pa or (xray tech) correct? Also just double checking we are to charge the body part and that extra cpt code … right? Thanks
SuperCoder Answered Wed 25th of March, 2020 06:43:11 AM

Hi Victoria,


Thank you for your Question.


CPT® code 77071 has PC/TC indicator 2 which states Professional Component Only Codes--This indicator identifies stand-alone codes that describe the physician work portion of selected diagnostic tests for which there is an associated code that describes the technical component of the diagnostic test only and another associated code that describes the global test. Hence, this global service can not be split into professional and technical components.

Modifiers 26 and TC cannot be used with these codes. The total RVUs for the professional component only codes include values for physician work, practice expense, and malpractice expense.

Yes, you can bill for the specific body part X-ray code along with CPT® code 77071.

Note: As per CMS CPT® code, 77071 is a Physician Service Code - Must be performed by a physician.



Hope that Helps!

Related Topics