Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

sheath placements

Debbie Posted Wed 16th of June, 2010 14:09:56 PM

What codes can be used when an IR physician places a vascular sheath in the jugular vein (Cordis sheath) for later access for another physician ( for example a Swan_Ganz placement) to use ?

SuperCoder Answered Thu 17th of June, 2010 06:54:05 AM

If the IR physician only places a flow directed catheter, like Swan-Ganz for monitoring purposes to be done by other physician. you can code the placement using CPT 93503. If the IR physician also used US guidance for placing the Swan-Ganz catheter, you can additionally code +76937. But remember, you must be able to provide sufficient documentation of permanent recording and reporting before using 76937. If the equipment cannot generate an ultrasound record, do not report 76937.

Debbie Posted Thu 17th of June, 2010 12:52:03 PM

well actually sometimes our IR docs are asked only to place a sheath for access so the Swan-Ganz catheter can be placed by another physician (not in our group)at a later time. is there a code for just placing an ultrasonic guided sheath placement into the IJ?

Related Topics