Denise Posted 9 day(s) ago
1. Placement of CRW Stereotactic Head Frame
2. Stereotactic CT with fusion to preoperative MRI.
3. Stereotactic implantation of Right-Parietal Responsive Neural Stimulation (RNS) Depth Electrode using Stereotactic Head-frame, via a twist-drill burr hole, and using c-arm fluroscopy for positional confirmation
4. Right-Parietal Craniectomy for Implantation of RNS Subdural Strip Electrode
5. Right-Parietal Craniectomy for Implantation of RNS implantable programmable generator (IPG)
6. Connection of Subdural Strip Electrode to Port 1 & Depth Electrode to port #2 of IPG
7. Intraoperative Impedance Testing for confirmation of functioning RNS Device
8. Removal of Headframe
SuperCoder Posted 8 day(s) ago
Thanks for your questions. Please find below answer to your query-
If provider has implanted two electrode arrays through separate burr holes, you can report both 61863 and 61864.
For Stereotactic implantation of Right-Parietal Responsive Neural Stimulation (RNS) Depth Electrode you will report 61863 but if provider is using seperate incision for implanting second RNS Subdural Strip Electrode you need to report with additional array code 61864. But, if provider is placing stip electrode with same incision you will only report 61863. However, if provider is also doing intraoperative microelectrode recording you will report it with code 61867(Twist drill, burr hole, craniotomy, or craniectomy with stereotactic implantation of neurostimulator electrode array in subcortical site (eg, thalamus, globus pallidus, subthalamic nucleus, periventricular, periaqueductal gray), with use of intraoperative microelectrode recording; first array ) and 61868 not with 61863. Also, report additional code for IPG 61885 or 61886 as per the documentation. Please refer to operative report for appropriate code selection.
Now coming back to point #4, code descriptor of CPT code 61863 does not specify anything about the shape or type of the electrode (e.g. grid electrode or strip electrode). It only explains the type of procedure and site of placement of electrode. So same code applies if physician uses strip electrode for implantation.
We hope this answers your question. Please feel free to write if you have any question.
9 day(s). There are 2 posts.
The latest reply
is from SuperCoder