Clinical Documentation: Connecting the Dots | Join Webinar & Earn 1 AAPC® CEURegister Now >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Replacement of feeding jejunostomy tube

Elia Answered Thu 19th of November, 2009 19:55:12 PM

Would I use an unlisted code 49999 for this since 49451 is not appropiate or just an E&M?

malfunction of a jejunostomy tube, the tube is leaking with bile excoriation affecting the surrounding skin. The existing anchor disk
is now preventing adequate skin care. I, therefore, decided that it should be removed.

The anchor stitch and disk were removed and it was discovered that the balloon on the catheter was down
and the patient then dislodged the existing feeding tube. I decided to start over with a brand new simple Foley catheter, 18-French, which was inserted back into the tract into the bowel. Calmoseptine was
then applied to the skin and a new sterile dressing applied and the distal balloon inflated and used to anchor
the tube in place with good results.

SuperCoder Answered Fri 20th of November, 2009 12:07:32 PM

In this procedure the physician had performed a replacement of jejunostomy tube through percuteneous approach, but he did'nt performed any short of fluroscopy or contrast injection. So instead of going for an unlisted code, I would rather prefer the CPT 49451 with a 52 modifier.

Related Topics