Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

repair of 4th degree laceration

Maarit Posted Thu 26th of May, 2011 20:56:02 PM

General surgeon repaired rectal mucosa tear through a rectal approach and an OB/GYN doctor repaired the vaginal and perineal tears. How would you code for the general surgeon. There is CPT 45562, but since he did not use abdominal incision, could we use the code with -52? Or do we have to go with an unlisted code? or perhaps intermediate wound repair code?
thank you for your thoughts on this one.

SuperCoder Answered Fri 27th of May, 2011 04:33:43 AM

Please consider for modifiers 62 or 80 as per appropriate documentation.

Maarit Posted Fri 27th of May, 2011 19:27:45 PM

Each surgeon has written their own OP report and prefer billing separately. Is there a code for repair of rectal injury through rectal approach?

SuperCoder Answered Fri 27th of May, 2011 19:51:45 PM

If each surgeon on his own documentation has submitted the procedure they have performed on their own, then you can bill all the three CPTs with 62 modifier.
But, if it mentions any one as assisting the other, the concept of modifier 80 comes in.

Related Topics