Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95

Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Removal of Foreign Body in Ear- 69200

Loni Posted Thu 10th of October, 2019 14:49:28 PM
If clinical staff, such as a medical assistant removes a foreign body from the patient's ear, can 69200 be billed, or would a physician, nurse practitioner or PA have to perform the service? If a physician or non physician provider doesn't perform the service, what should be billed?
SuperCoder Answered Fri 11th of October, 2019 07:18:54 AM

Hi Loni,


A medical assistant works alongside physicians and assists the physician but cannot perform procedure of a physician independently.


The procedure of removing a foreign body from the ear (CPT code 69200) should only be performed by the physician. It is outside the scope of a medical assistant. Hence it cannot be performed by a medical assistant independently.


Please find below link for roles and responsibilities of a medical assistant.


Please feel free to write if you have any question.



Loni Posted Fri 11th of October, 2019 09:01:04 AM
Thank you for your prompt response. Could this service be billed as a "nurse visit" with 99211?
SuperCoder Answered Mon 14th of October, 2019 09:30:23 AM
E M code may be reported when there is no CPT code for the minor procedure But since we have a definite code for foreign body removal from the ear we cannot report E M code for this and as this procedure was performed by a medical assistant you should...

Related Topics