Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all


Shade Posted Tue 18th of March, 2014 09:11:13 AM

Can an E&M be coded with "69200"? please help shed light into this.

SuperCoder Answered Wed 19th of March, 2014 01:59:54 AM

When a physician removes ventilation tubes in the office, you should use the appropriate E/M code (99201-99215, Office or other outpatient visit ...).

You won't find any CPT code for this service because removal of ventilation tubes in the office setting does not meet the criteria of a foreign body removal. Therefore, 69200 (Removal foreign body from external auditory canal, without general anesthesia) does not apply.

If you remove a tube on the same date of service as a ear repair (69610, Tympanic membrane repair, with or without site preparation of perforation for closure, with or without patch), report only the repair code. This is because removal of the tube is part of the repair service. This is reflected in the higher value of the repair.

If the physician doesn't perform any repair but uses the binocular microscope, code the scope (92504, Binocular microscopy [separate diagnostic procedure]). If the physician doesn't use any microscope, you can only code an E/M service for the removal

Related Topics