Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Place of Service

K Posted Tue 10th of June, 2014 15:11:39 PM

One of the ASC we bill for has a "suite" the providers use for procedures that could be done in the office, but they do not have the space or set up to do it in the office. They will perform the procedure in the "suite" at the surgery center.

How do you bill out for this? Do you use POS 24 due to the procedure being done with in the walls of the surgery center or do you bill with POS 11 due to the procedure being done in the suite? Thank you.

SuperCoder Answered Wed 11th of June, 2014 11:58:52 AM

You should bill with POS 24.

Place of service is part of practice expense component of Relative value unit (RVU) which effects the reimbursement. In non facility setting such as office, a provider incurs overhead costs like utilities, equipments, furnishings, supplies etc. Hence, he is reimbursed at higher RVU. Since in your case you are using a separate area within the walls of the ASC, the provider is not eligible for extra reimbursement that is available when he performs procedure in his own office.

Thanks !!

Related Topics