Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Physician Assistant Coding-Orthopedic

Samantha Posted Tue 19th of January, 2016 15:48:34 PM

Often in the operating room a resident will take a first assistant position and "our" physician assistant (not employed by the hospital) will take a second assist role. Can our physician assistant bill for this?
The logic is that if our physician assistant was not there one of the surgical techs would have to take his place and I would imagine the hospital bills for this.
Can our physician assistant bill for this instead? Please provide any reference,documentation to support your answer.

SuperCoder Answered Wed 20th of January, 2016 08:36:04 AM

When a non-physician provider (NPP) assists the surgeon, Medicare uses modifier AS to report nonphysician assistant-at-surgery services. Modifier AS represents 'Physician assistant, nurse practitioner, or clinical nurse specialist services for assistant at surgery'.

However, if the PA is a physician/assistant surgeon, then modifier 80 is used to bill for the services.

Please see the following links for reference:
(Please see section 110.2 in this link)

Related Topics