Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Pain Management and Mental Health

Christine Posted Tue 24th of November, 2009 17:19:57 PM

First off can a Licensed Professional Counselor see a patient from a pain management physician and determine if patient is mentally stable to continue with any type of pain management procedures? Or must they be actual M.D.s or Ph.D's? Second can the LPC be an employee of the pain management physician and if so how do you bill for these services? under the physician or under the LPC?

SuperCoder Answered Wed 25th of November, 2009 08:44:13 AM

The LPC can be employed by a physician and he/she can evaluate the patient's mental health. However, Medicare does not pay for a LPC's services. Private carriers may pay for a LPC's services. You need to contact the local insurance co. about their policies pertaining to LPC.

Related Topics