Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all


Marilyn Posted Mon 29th of July, 2013 20:47:08 PM

Scenario: Patient seen for HTN,DM,Rash. Doctor, Family Practice, also consults/advice the patient on Nutrition. Along with the E/M, can we bill using Nutrition CPT, 9780x or use 9940X?

SuperCoder Answered Wed 31st of July, 2013 13:01:14 PM


My editor is working on this. He will get back soon with the answer.


SuperCoder Answered Thu 01st of August, 2013 07:44:41 AM

Please find the answer:
1. Medical Nutrition Therapy MNT codes (97802-97804) bundle with E/M codes (99201-99215) with modifier 0, which means you cannot use both codes together during the same visit.
2. The MNT codes can be used only by registered dietitians or nutrition professionals. These codes are not meant for physicians.
3. In physicians' offices that have a registered dietitian on staff, the dietitian cannot bill the MNT codes. The dietitians or nutritionists must have their own Medicare provider numbers.
4. Only registered dietitians or nutrition professionals can provide MNT under the rules for Medicare Part B reimbursement.

Marilyn Posted Wed 26th of July, 2017 10:17:09 AM
We have a group of RD/Nutrionist that we bill for under their own NPI#. Is this correct.

Related Topics