Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

non-dwelling catherer

Tammy Posted Thu 29th of January, 2015 13:16:50 PM

Patient comes in an provider has to use catherer to obtain UA. Can we bill insurance for non-dwelling catherer 51701?
Can we use the 51701 if patient comes in and is having problems with urination?

SuperCoder Answered Thu 29th of January, 2015 13:56:36 PM

Thanks for your question. 51701; Insertion of non-indwelling bladder catheter (eg, straight catheterization for residual urine) would be appropriate for this scenario. In this procedure, the provider places a non dwelling catheter into the bladder via the urethra for the purpose of intermittent catheterization or catheterization to obtain residual urine left after voiding. A non dwelling catheter is one which the provider places temporarily and removes after its purpose resolves, usually on same day. See attached link for additional information and examples.

Related Topics