Mary Posted Thu 07th of February, 2013 15:08:47 PM
what modifier is used to report left main coronary artery, diagonal branch of LAD, Obtuse marginal branch, etc?
SuperCoder Answered Fri 08th of February, 2013 17:16:08 PM
• LM, Left main coronary artery
• RI, Ramus intermedius coronary artery.
• LC, Left circumflex coronary artery
• LD, Left anterior descending coronary artery
• RC, Right coronary artery
For reporting purposes there are two coronary branches of the left anterior descending (diagonals), left circumflex (marginals), and right (posterior descending, posterolaterals) coronary arteries. The left main and ramus intermedius coronary arteries do not have recognized branches for reporting purposes.
Keep in mind that Medicare currently gives the new “each additional branch” add-on codes bundled status and doesn’t pay them separately.