Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Modifier SA for incident to services

Anne Posted Wed 06th of April, 2011 14:14:44 PM

Would one use modifier SA for all incident-to services that are billed under the supervising physician’s NPI number, presuming that physician provided direct on site supervision. Is this modifier used for all payers including Medicare and Medicaid?

SuperCoder Answered Thu 07th of April, 2011 15:18:19 PM

SA Modifier: A supervising physician should use this modifier when billing on behalf of a PA, ANP, of CRNFA for non-surgical services. (Modifier SA is used when the PA, ANP, or CRNFA is assisting with any other procedure that DOES NOT include surgery.) Yes, you need to add the modifier SA to all NP services only (excludes PA services) which are submitted under the physician provider number.

Related Topics