SuperCoder Posted Tue 20th of November, 2012 23:46:00 PM
medicare have been dening my claim as i bill 45380 with v76.51 stating it's non-covered services as this is a routine exam or screening procedure done in conjunction with a routine exam. Help please!!
SuperCoder Answered Wed 21st of November, 2012 18:29:31 PM
These are non-covered services because this is a routine exam or screening procedure done in conjunction with a routine exam
(ROUTINE EXAMINATIONS AND RELATED SERVICES NOT COVERED)
Resources/tips for avoiding this denial
Denial indicates the procedure code and/or evaluation and management (E/M) service was billed with a screening diagnosis.
• Note: Medicare does not cover diagnostic/screening procedures or E/M services for routine or screening purposes, such as an annual physical. This denial would be appropriate in this case.
• Before submitting a claim, you may access the Procedure to Diagnosis Lookup/Service Indication Report to determine if the procedure code to be billed is payable under the specific diagnosis.
• Refer to the “Active/Future/Retired LCDs” medical coverage policies for a list of procedure codes, relating to services addressed in the local coverage determination (LCD), and the diagnoses for which a service is/is not considered medically reasonable and necessary.
Tips to correct the denied claim
• If a payable diagnosis is indicated in the patient's encounter/service notes or record, correct the diagnosis and resubmit the claim.
• Do not resubmit an entire claim when a partial payment has been made; correct and resubmit denied lines only.