Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Management - Wound Care Drains & Bulbs

Cinde Posted Thu 21st of April, 2016 14:39:27 PM
I've developed a suspension/management device for wound-care drains post surgery. In order to secure Medicare insurance supplier status, I need to provide a CPT code for procedure, Can you assist with CPT code for insertion of the drain and bulb - particularly for mastectomy procedures?
SuperCoder Answered Fri 22nd of April, 2016 01:59:26 AM
Usually the insertion of the drain at the surgical site is considered to be an integral part of the procedure and thus not separately reportable. If post surgical drain placement is a medical necessity then you can code CPT 10030 for the service performed. Code 10030 is used for drainage of fluid collection in any part of the body – for example, abdominal wall, soft tissue of the neck, or breast seroma.

Related Topics