Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Kenalog injection

Mike Posted Wed 13th of November, 2013 18:32:00 PM

Dictation states 2 mL of 0.75% Marcaine and 0.25mL of Kenalog for a trigger point injection. Coding would not be done for the Marcaine but would J3301 be billed at 1 unit?

SuperCoder Answered Wed 13th of November, 2013 23:50:58 PM

Yes,you should report 1 unit per 10 mg for J3301. If less, then also. You would code the medication with J3301 (Injection, triamcinolone acetonide, per 10 mg). To bill for half of a 10-mg vial (Kenalog-10), use 0.5 units, which equates to billing for 5 mg of Kenalog. If your staff drew half of a Kenalog-40 vial, use J3301 x 2 (for 20 mg).

Related Topics