Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all


Bernadette Posted Mon 01st of July, 2013 16:46:12 PM


I have a question about when we give a patient an oral dose of an antibiotic or prednizone. Is there a CPT code to charge if we do give oral medication? We buy the medication to have in office for emergency purposes. For instance, a patient comes in with hives and after the doctor's evaluation, orders a dose of the Orapred to be given by mouth. Could we bill this dose to the insurance? If so, what would be the CPT code?

We thank you for your response ...

SuperCoder Answered Tue 02nd of July, 2013 15:05:12 PM

There is no CPT code for administering an oral medication. There could, however, be a HCPCS code for the product which would be billable if it is a product purchased by the practice (not supplied by a pharma detailer and free to the practice).

Bernadette Posted Mon 08th of July, 2013 19:49:00 PM

Thank you for your response. We have checked some info on Supercoder and wanted to ask you if HCPCS code G8711 would be an appropriate one to use?

SuperCoder Answered Tue 09th of July, 2013 12:35:00 PM


That code should work, as long as the insurer is okay with it.

Related Topics