Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Insertion of manometry catheter via esophagogastroscopy

Linh Posted Mon 05th of December, 2016 20:03:54 PM
How would you code a placement of a manometry cathether via upper endoscopy by the surgeon? The duodendum was not entered or studied. The catheter was introduced through the nose and the upper endoscope through the mouth. At the end, the catheter was removed. The study itself (CPT 91010) was performed and billed by the physician assistant.
SuperCoder Answered Tue 06th of December, 2016 02:14:48 AM

Greetings from!


If your gastroenterologist practices in a hospital setting and does not own the equipment for the motility tests, you would bill the CPT 91010 with a modifier 26 (Professional component). The TC modifier is used for the entity claiming reimbursement for the use of the equipment.


However, if your gastroenterologist owns the equipment, then you have to just stick to the appropriate test codes and bill globally without the use of any modifiers to include payment for both the professional and technical components.


Please feel free to write if you have any further questions.



Related Topics