Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all


Luz Posted Mon 13th of April, 2015 09:36:00 AM

According to CMS guidelines regarding incident-to if you are in a group, "any physician member of the group may be present in the office to supervise". However, my question is, under which provider number the service should be billed; under the supervising physician or the regular physician who has an established relationship with the patient?

SuperCoder Answered Mon 13th of April, 2015 10:23:32 AM

Thanks for your question. The billing should be under the supervising physician. Although there has to be an established plan of care in order to comply with incident-to guidelines, the provider that set up the care plan does not have to be the billing provider. Any provider within the same group and under the same Tax ID number can be the supervising physician. See the attached Medicare guidelines for incident-to services to ensure that you are following all of the guidelines. Hope this helps.

Related Topics