Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

If MD Counsels Spouse and Child of "Non-attending Patient"

Maria Posted Mon 09th of May, 2016 19:17:47 PM
If patient's spouse and/or adult child are counselled by the physician in the office, is this service billable as an E/M to Medicare? They are concerned with patient's increasing forgetfulness.
SuperCoder Answered Tue 10th of May, 2016 02:24:05 AM
Greetings! You cannot bill counseling of family separately. If you think your physician has spent a lot of time with the patient and the family, you may count the time spent face-to-face with the patient as well as with the family. Then you can bill time based E/M services but please make sure that physician should spend more than 50% of the total face-to-face time of the visit in counseling/coordination of care. Documentation of the total time of the visit, time spent in counseling/coordination of care, and nature of the counseling/coordination of care must be in the medical record. Thanks.
Maria Posted Wed 04th of April, 2018 20:32:10 PM
The patient was non-attending. It looks like this is not reimbursed.
SuperCoder Answered Thu 05th of April, 2018 02:35:48 AM

You may bill time based face-to-face visit with the patient and family.


Related Topics