Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Hospital billing

Suhel Posted Wed 15th of February, 2012 18:28:19 PM

My doctor was the admitting physician for one of her patients admitted to the hospital a few days ago and has been taking care of this patient in the hospital ever since. The patient is still in the hospital. How do i bill for the ongoing care of this patient?

Torrey Answered Wed 15th of February, 2012 19:39:46 PM

What type of services is your physician providing? Standard E/M inpatient visits are typically reported using 99221-99233. However, if your patient is in critical care or observation, or if your physician is providing other services or performing procedures, those coding rules are different. Can you offer any information on what the physician is doing? Thanks!

Torrey Kim, CPC, CGSC
Part B Insider
Pediatric Coding Alert

Suhel Posted Thu 16th of February, 2012 17:55:00 PM

Services would be standard E & M Services. The Patient was in the Telemetry Unit for the first 5 days, then she was moved to ICU for a couple of days, and now she is in the DOU unit for the past 8 days and she is still there. Are there different CPT codes for the different units or would I just use codes from 99221 - 99233?
Second Question - regarding box # 18 on the CMS Claim form. Is the "FROM" date the date of admission and for each day billed, do i keep changing the "TO" date to the current date?
Please Advise. Thanks in advance.

Suhel Posted Fri 17th of February, 2012 17:12:09 PM

Could someone please help me with this? I would really appreciate it. thanks

SuperCoder Answered Fri 17th of February, 2012 19:26:05 PM

Hi, Suhel. In most cases, your inpatient codes shouldn't change when she moves from one unit to another. An exception would be when she's in a critical care unit, like mentioned above.
I'm not sure how to answer your question about Box 18 on the CMS claim form. Maybe someone else can help with that, or we can find an answer with a bit of research.

Thanks for asking,
Leigh DeLozier, CPC
Editor, The Coding Institute

Related Topics