2019 ICD-10 CM code changes coming your way — are you prepared?Join Now >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask an Expert Starting at $24.95

Have a medical coding question? Get definitive answers from TCI SuperCoder's Ask an Expert.

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all
SuperCoder Posted Tue 31st of August, 2010 15:19:25 PM

My husband is quadriplegic and I have been authorized payment of an attendant allowance from OWCP. I need the correct CPT code for this. It is for help with bowel and catheter care, loading and unloading his wheelchair, assistance in the shower, etc. I can't find an appropriate code for home health care attendant. I had to obtain a CNA license in order to file for this assistance, but nobody seems to know the correct code.

SuperCoder Posted Tue 31st of August, 2010 15:20:02 PM

You need a HCPCS Supply code, which is why when you were looking for a CPT code, people may not have been able to assist you. Medicaid has a temporary HCPCS code that might be the code you need:
• T1021 – Home health aide or certified nurse assistant, per visit

The only problem with using this code is in your situation it seems more appropriate to code per diem rather than per visit.

Jennifer Godreau, BA, CPC, CPEDC
Content Director, Supercoder.com

Gaylene Answered Wed 01st of September, 2010 04:58:19 AM

Thanks. I did finally get in touch with OWCP and they have told me to use 'S5125' and bill in 15 minute units. I'll let you know if this is not correct. Thanks, Gaylene

Related Topics