Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

GI Cocktail

Nicole Posted Tue 08th of January, 2013 14:44:19 PM

I have a doctor that gave a "GI Cocktail". I am not exactly sure how this should be billed out.

Thank You in Advance!

SuperCoder Answered Thu 10th of January, 2013 16:18:42 PM


I am digging specific information for you and will get back soon.


SuperCoder Answered Sat 12th of January, 2013 22:13:07 PM

A GI cocktail is a mixture of antacid, viscous lidocaine and anticholinergics that is used in the treatment of dyspepsia.

There is no specific code to report this mixture. You can try reporting this with 99070 (Supplies and materials…) or J8499 (Prescription drug, oral, non chemotherapeutic, nos). However, it is most likely that payers will not reimburse for this and the cost will be included within the E/M or the procedure that was performed.

Related Topics