Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95

Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all


Tammy Posted Wed 13th of March, 2019 15:13:47 PM
Is there a CPT Code for Intraoperative Examination Under Anesthesia (for Male) patients? Pt was having a takedown of his colostomy by Gastroenterologist, attempted to create space rectally, when she noted what was felt to be a via the Foley Catheter anteriorly, she asked Urologist to examine the patient under anesthesia. Thanks,,,
SuperCoder Answered Thu 14th of March, 2019 10:23:38 AM



Thanks for your question.

As per the documentation it appears that the urologist was request for the examination, there is no specific intraoperative consult code available but you can code from consultation codes if the criteria are met. Inpatient (99251-99255) or outpatient (99241-99245) consultation codes can be used, depending on patient status at the time of the operation.

The consulting physician's opinion or advice in the treatment of the patient must be requested. The request, visit, and findings and recommendations must be documented by the consulting physician. The findings and recommendations must be communicated to the requesting physician in writing.

Hope this helps.


Related Topics