Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Endotracheal tube

Annie Posted Wed 18th of June, 2014 10:39:04 AM

Patient had emergent endotracheal intubation done but on the same day the tube was found to be leaking and they did a exchange of endotracheal tube using the tube exchanger. Would i still use the same 31500.

SuperCoder Answered Thu 19th of June, 2014 07:00:20 AM

Thank you for your question.

Correct, you would code 31500.

Here is some information from

Trach Tube Changes and Fistula Tracts

Trach placement involves a fistula tract from the skin of the anterior neck to the trachea. If the trach tube must be changed before the tract is fully established (usually after about seven days), report 31502.

This is the only time a trach tube change can be separately billed. There is no CPT code for a trach tube change performed after a fistula tract has been established. Any tube changes after the tract is established cannot be billed and become a component of the appropriate E/M service billed for the visit. If the tube change is documented, however, it may support a higher level of
medical decision-making -- which in turn may result in a higher E/M level.

Related Topics