Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Emla cream

Town & Country Pediatrics & Posted Wed 01st of May, 2013 16:04:28 PM

Can we bill for the emla (numbing cream) that the physician applied before removing a tick, and if so, which code should we use?

SuperCoder Answered Fri 03rd of May, 2013 12:28:26 PM

CPT doesn't contain a code for eutectic mixture of local anesthetics (EMLA). For payers that deny CPT's generic supply code 99070 (Supplies and materials [except spectacles], provided by the physician over and above those usually included with the office visit or other services rendered [list drugs, trays, supplies, or materials provided]), you may try HCPCS miscellaneous code A4649 (Surgical supply; miscellaneous). Make sure to submit an invoice with the claim form.

Some third-party payers don't cover topical anesthetic agents. In this case, you have no choice but to include the EMLA cream in the E/M service, such as 99212-99215 (Office or other outpatient visit for the evaluation and management of an established patient ...), that the pediatrician provides prior to administering the penicillin injection (90788, Intramuscular injection of antibiotic [specify]).

Related Topics