Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Electronic Muscle Stimulator

Marilyn Posted Tue 28th of June, 2011 19:34:33 PM

My physician purchased an electronic muscle stimulator. How do we bill? What is the procedural code(s) and icd-9 code (s)?

SuperCoder Answered Wed 29th of June, 2011 04:02:52 AM

Use 20974 or 20975 as appropriate as per description of these codes. For ICD, check the LCD/Crosswalk.
Generally, ICD should be coded for specific musculoskeletal disorder or if no such code found appropriate, you can check in for 723.9

Marilyn Posted Wed 29th of June, 2011 14:20:22 PM

Help, I was told to use 97032. Code 723.9, if I am reading it correctly that it pertains to the cervical/neck area?

Marilyn Posted Wed 29th of June, 2011 16:28:46 PM

Just want to be more clear of the device: EMS/TENS . Was told to bill E0720 for Medicare. For commercial, bill 20974 and how about a placement code?

SuperCoder Answered Wed 29th of June, 2011 22:04:30 PM

You can use 97032 for placement of electrodes for electrical stimulation.
Yes, 723.9 pertains to cervical/neck area.
20974 to be used when "Electrical stimulation is used to aid bone healing'", whereas E0720 is for "nerve"stimulation device. But your question was for "muscle" stimulator.

Marilyn Posted Wed 29th of June, 2011 23:30:50 PM

I didn't realize the difference. So use 20974 for "muscle" and what code would I use for Medicare?
Thank you Sanjit.

SuperCoder Answered Thu 30th of June, 2011 18:46:58 PM


Marilyn Posted Thu 30th of June, 2011 23:52:41 PM

Richard, what do you mean by your multiple "x"s?

Marilyn Posted Thu 04th of August, 2011 14:06:10 PM

I just learned that the Doctor do not have a DME number, therefore, we can't bill "E0730"
to Medicare/Medicaid. We will just bill for the services. Need help as to what are the "procedure" codes that I can bill Medicare/Medicaid just for the service?

Jasmine Answered Thu 04th of August, 2011 16:37:03 PM

Depending on the type of machine:
Either CPT 97014: Application of a modality to 1 or more areas; electrical stimulation (unattended)
HCPCS Level II - G0283: Electrical stimulation (unattended), to one or more areas for indication(s) other than wound care, as part of a therapy plan of care


CPT 97032: Application of a modality to 1 or more areas; electrical stimulation (manual), each 15 minutes

Marilyn Posted Thu 04th of August, 2011 17:44:30 PM

The DME code is E0730 TENS unit which was purchased for the office not for one particular patient so not billing as DME just billing for physicians service.
I was told that when the procedure is being done, the nurse stays with the patient. Confused as to the appropriate code to bill Medicare, medicaid, etc. Should I use "64550" (but the patient does not take the equipment home)"G0283" states "unattended" but service is attended when the service is being provided in the office. Confused.

Marilyn Posted Wed 10th of August, 2011 02:25:39 AM

Please, so if we are using Tens device "E0730" please clarify do we need to use "64550" but patient does not take the equipment home after initial application "64550". The procudure takes atleast 10 minutes/session "attended" so would "97014" be appropriate and if the procedure is repeated, do we bill "97032" or "97014" twice with a modifier for the second session?

SuperCoder Answered Wed 10th of August, 2011 18:53:57 PM

Since the application of the modality for at least 10 min/session "attended", so we can't bill the "unattended" one (97014). The only option left is 97032.
So, if the procedure is repeated, then we can bill for two units of 97032.

Marilyn Posted Fri 12th of August, 2011 01:48:28 AM

Thank you Sanjit. How about Medicare? What code can I use to bill for "attended" session if "G0283" is "unattended"?

Marilyn Posted Tue 16th of August, 2011 15:27:53 PM

Sanjit, thank you for all your input. To finalize this question, I actually called the supplier to get more information about this device. I was told that it is "not" a Tens unit but just an EMS,(Electronic "Muscle" Stimulator), four (4) leads and that the code they assigned which is "E0730" was incorrect to describe the device. I was now given "E0744" or E0745" can be used to describe the unit. How would we appropriately code the service for this EMS unit "CPT and HCPS"? Would it still be "97032" and how about an HCPS code for Medicare?
Thank you so much.

Related Topics