Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

E&M vs Fibrinolytic Instillation (32561; 32562)

Kathy Posted Fri 27th of January, 2017 11:14:50 AM
Would it be appropriate to bill an E&M INSTEAD of the 32561/32562 for this very time consuming procedure, which is generally performed more than once per day, for multiple days? (RVU for most E&M's is higher than RVU for 32561 or 32562)
SuperCoder Answered Mon 30th of January, 2017 07:47:10 AM


If the physician instills a fibrinolytic agent into the chest cavity via a chest tube or catheter, the appropriate CPT codes would be 32561 or 32562. Evaluation and management services performed on the day of the procedure are generally not payable, unless performed for an unrelated condition.

Related Topics