Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Drug testing CPT change

Judy Posted Thu 22nd of January, 2015 12:02:25 PM

We use a company for drug testing where we collect a urine specimen in a cup that has optical reading for our lab tech. She then sends the specimen on to the lab that perform further detailed testing. With the new coding change should we use the 80300 for private insurance and the G0434 with Medicare or G0434 with Medicare and all private insurances?

SuperCoder Answered Fri 23rd of January, 2015 12:50:46 PM

Thanks for your question. The G codes are reserved for Medicare use. The commercial payers will accept the laboratory codes from the 80300 series of codes. Unless your commercial payer requests that you bill G codes, you would refrain from billing those types of codes to commercial payers. Hope this helps.

Related Topics