Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Does anyone know about the TTS balloon dilators

Susan Posted Thu 08th of March, 2012 16:15:05 PM

TTS dilators with EGD

SuperCoder Answered Mon 12th of March, 2012 15:33:10 PM

When the physicians documentation specifies that he placed a deflated balloon dilator through the endoscope and gradually inflated the dilator to open the stricture, you can choose from either 43249 (Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy including esophagus, stomach, and either the duodenum and/or jejunum as appropriate; with balloon dilation of esophagus [less than 30 mm diameter]) or 43220 (Esophagoscopy, rigid or flexible; with balloon dilation [less than 30 mm diameter]). Report 43249 when the endoscope passes the esophageal stricture and enters the stomach and duodenum. You should claim 43220 if the endoscopic balloon dilation does not allow the scope to pass into the stomach.

Related Topics