Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Difficult Airway

Loretta Posted Tue 24th of March, 2015 14:27:57 PM

Patient was scheduled for removal of lung nodules (one lung). The anesthesiologist had trauma with induction and tried for 2 hours but incurred difficult airway. Placed ETT with no problem. Attempted to exchange ETT with blocker for one lung ventilation exchange tube and airway were lost. glidescope showed the vocal cords to be closed. Surgery was cancelled. Do we bill for the placement for the ETT or do we bill for the removal of lung nodules with a 53 modifier. Surgeon is not submitting a claim for this. Or perhaps there is another way to bill for the time spent by the anesthesiologist

SuperCoder Answered Wed 25th of March, 2015 03:42:09 AM

Anesthesiologist should bill for the procedure (Anesthesia procedure for removal of lung nodule) with 53 modifier.

Related Topics