Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

Dental Pre-op visit

Ray Posted Thu 11th of October, 2012 19:15:27 PM

Can someone please tell me how you bill a dental pre-op to a Medicaid carrier. we've been told to always bill it with a well child check up visit (99292 or 99293) with the Dx's of V20.2 and a modifier 32 and AM.

Thank you

SuperCoder Answered Tue 16th of October, 2012 00:20:56 AM

If the surgeon is requesting an examination for clearance for surgery from the PCP, then the PCP can bill a consult. But the surgeon has to request those services by letter to provide supporting documentation for the consult. Otherwise, just bill 99211-99215. Either way, you should use the V72.83 for your dx.

In the other discussion, we clarified the term "pre-operative exam". That is done by the surgeon. Clearance for surgery is done by a specialist or PCP.

Source: AAPC

Related Topics