Clinical Documentation: Connecting the Dots | Join Webinar & Earn 1 AAPC® CEURegister Now >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all


Alicia Posted Mon 30th of April, 2012 19:10:45 PM

We have been getting denials from medicaid and private companies. They are stating that they paid the hosptial where my Dr performs his out procedures. For example we billed a 43239 EGD and they state that they paid the hospital for the 43239. Is the hospital billing wrong. What codes should they bill? Thank You,


SuperCoder Answered Tue 01st of May, 2012 07:49:13 AM

If your physician is performing the procedures (EGD etc.) at hospital set up, he can bill for his part of service, i.e., performance, interpretation etc. and you should get paid for the code 43239. Hospital can bill only for supplies and instruments if it has provided those. Hospital should not get paid for the global code 43239, unless your physician gets just a lumpsum contractual amount on monthly basis from the hospital, irrespective of no. of surgeries he performs in that hospital.

Related Topics