Ask an Expert

Answers to Compliance and Medical Coding Questions.
  1. Cindy Posted 4 month(s) agoRelated Topics

    If our office does cultures tests and sends them to an outside lab. Our we able to bill the insurance company directly, the lab sends us a bill every month. I know we cannot bill Medicare for these, but can you bill other carriers for these. I have looked on several of the major carriers websites and there isn't anything about not being able to bill for these when done by an outside lab. thanks Cindy

  2. SuperCoder Posted 4 month(s) ago

    As per coding guidelines, the rendering provider should bill for the services. However, it is suggested to get in touch with the carrier and check the payer preferences in this case. Thank you.

  3. Cindy Posted 4 month(s) ago

    When you reference rendering provider are you talking about the physician who takes the culture or the lab that process the culture? Your reply is not clear. thank you Cindy

  4. SuperCoder Posted 4 month(s) ago

    It is the laboratory that is processing the culture. Thank you.

About this Question

  • Posted by 26273 Cindy, 4 month(s) ago. There are 4 posts. The latest reply is from SuperCoder.