Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

CPT Code for replacement of jejunostomy tube

E. maria Posted Wed 21st of October, 2015 16:06:39 PM

Can you please advise, patient underwent removal of infected jejunostomy tube for malfunction and infection. The old jejunostomy was removed and replaced with a new jejunostomy tube. Can I bill with CPT code 44300? or is there a better CPT?

E. maria Posted Fri 23rd of October, 2015 17:38:52 PM

Can someone help me this coding, please

SuperCoder Answered Tue 27th of October, 2015 02:54:38 AM

I am assuming it as a percutaneous procedure. So please use CPT code 49451 but if fluoroscopic guidance was not used, then bill CPT code 49451 with -52 modifier (reduced services).

E. maria Posted Wed 28th of October, 2015 16:51:03 PM

No it was not done percutaneous. Midline incision was made. Subcutaneous tissue divided using electrocautery. The fascia was opened, peritoneum was entered.The jejunostomy tube site was adherent to the abdominal wall and there were no signs of leakage or other issues here. The tube at this point was removed. It appeared that the tube was infected and this may be a deep-seated infection down to the muscle area. The peritoneal opening was closed to prevent any leakage of infected fluid down the abdominal cavity. The same opening site was chosed to place the new jejunostomy site. So, I was thinking CPT 44300? (information provided only to help with response)

SuperCoder Answered Thu 29th of October, 2015 01:34:31 AM

There is no specific code for open replacement of jejunostomy tube. The most near code is CPT 44300, which is for placement. You can bill any of CPT code 44300 or unlisted CPT code. But if you report unlisted CPT code, please provide the appropriate documentation to supports the procedure. And for payment comparison, you can check CPT 44300.

Related Topics