Fast Coder vs. Physician Coder vs. Multispecialty Coder  |  Compare & SaveLearn More!

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask an Expert Starting at $24.95

Have a medical coding question? Get definitive answers from TCI SuperCoder's Ask an Expert.

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all
Karen Posted 1 Year(s) ago
Hi I work for a psychologist. We have a couple coming in for couples therapy. The first appointment will be both together being billed under the husband's name and insurance. The next session he is being seen alone. This is also being billed under his name and insurance. Next session will be his wife alone. We are not sure how to bill this? Would this be billed under her, but through his insurance. All sessions are related to the couples issues. Thank you!
SuperCoder Posted 1 Year(s) ago


This can be complicated. You’ll need to figure out which plan is primary, bill that plan first, then bill the secondary plan, enclosing a copy of the Explanation of Benefits (EOB) from the primary plan which outlines how much they paid.  If you see the identified patient (IP) alone, use a psychotherapy CPT code as you would for an individual session (e.g. 90832, 90834, or 90837). If you see a non-IP family member alone, you continue to list your IP as the patient on the claim form, but use CPT code 90846 which is for family/couples therapy w/o patient present.


Posted by Karen, 1 Year(s). There are 2 posts. The latest reply is from SuperCoder.

Related Topics