Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95

Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all


Hari Posted Thu 09th of May, 2019 08:10:59 AM
Hi, if a PCP refers a patient to GI specialist, is it okay to take the consultation (do the consult services) by Registered NP of the same facility (same group) on behalf of MD and do the consultation services. Can we bill consult under NP. Can you please any authenticated document or weblink supporting the answer.
SuperCoder Answered Fri 10th of May, 2019 11:34:25 AM


Thanks for your question.

When requested by a physician or other appropriate source, a consultation may be provided by a physician or qualified nonphysician practitioner (NPP). In order to be a qualified NPP, performing a consultation service must be within the scope of practice and licensure in the state in which the NPP practices.

Please go through with the links provided below:

Hope this helps.


Related Topics