Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all


Cora Posted Wed 22nd of June, 2011 20:52:58 PM

Does any one have a list of who can request a consult from Doctor? Can a Doctor in the same office request a consult to a Doctor in that office? Thanks grandma

SuperCoder Answered Thu 23rd of June, 2011 18:21:15 PM

CPT Assistant, July 2007 indicates that “there may be circumstances when a consultation is initiated by sources other than a physician, such as a physician assistant, nurse practitioner, doctor of chiropractic, … social worker, lawyer, or insurance company.” This helps to explain who can be considered another provider or healthcare entity. Reporting a consultation would be appropriate if the service was at the request of one of these professionals.
Consultation results transfer of responsibility of care for an expert service or second opinion. So, I consider that it should be acceptable if a consultation is requested from the same office.

Related Topics