Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all

consult/after hrs

Lori Posted Fri 17th of February, 2012 21:08:56 PM

Can bill a consult code (99242) and also bill a after hrs code of 99051 to the insurance co's ..for payment...I know that not all Insurance Co's reimburse on the after hrs

SuperCoder Answered Fri 17th of February, 2012 21:26:48 PM

Hi Lori.
You can bill 99242 and 99051 together. Codes 99050 and 99051 simply require that your office have posted evening, weekend, and holiday hours and the physician provide the basic service (such as 99201-99245) during those times.
Not all insurance companies pay on 99051 and some don't use the consultation codes anymore either, as you noted. If the payer recognizes the codes though, you should be fine.
I hope this helps.
Leesa A. Israel, BA, CPC, CUC, CMBS
Executive Editor, The Coding Institute

Related Topics