Don't have a TCI SuperCoder account yet? Become a Member >>

Regular Price: $24.95

Ask An Expert Starting at $24.95
Have a medical coding or compliance question? Don’t sacrifice your valuable time to endless research. Choose Ask an Expert to get clear answers from the TCI SuperCoder team. And here’s a tip for the budget-conscious: Select the 12-question pack to get the best rate per question!

Browse Past Questions By Specialty

+View all


Annie Posted Mon 31st of March, 2014 16:44:43 PM

What is the right code to use in the following scenario;

Patient presents to the emergency room and a specialist consult is requested. The specialist(ie.cardiologist,gynecologist) performs the consultation in the ER setting and the patient is not admitted.

SuperCoder Answered Tue 01st of April, 2014 15:55:17 PM

CPT still contains consultation codes, so if that is the service performed by the specialist, they should use the appropriate outpatient consult code 99241-99245. Medicare does not recognize consultation codes so if it is a Medicare patient, they would report using either the ED E/M code or on office or other outpatient code to report the service.

Related Topics